FOLKESTONE COASTAL 10KM - Sun 27 May 2012

Looking forward to this race, however the weather was unseasonably hot which effected the performances of a lot of the field.
Did a three mile warm up going along the course.  Then got back in time for some drills and strides.
The Race started and got off to a good pace in a little group of about 4 and we were all pushing on. It felt like one moment I was struggling to stay attached and then the next I was pushing on ahead, at about the 2 mile mark did forge a little ahead and opened up a gap over those chasing. At the water station the drink went straight over my head and again pushed on through. The breeze was behind us on the way out and it was getting extremely warm. At the half way point we turned round 180 degrees on ourself and was now running back into a fairly stiff breeze,which was in fact quite hard to battle against.  Started to go past the other runners and was watching out for my team mates, Andy & Tim weren't to far behind and then I saw Lucy just behind Lauren about 20m. Got caught by Medway guy and a Larkfield guy on the promenade back into Sandgate and couldn't do anything to respond. Then at about Sandgate Castle a young Canterbury Harrier came up on my shoulder and this time I really tried hard to dig in and managed to stay with him over the last mile and a half. I managed to do this and as we came round past the Mermaid Cafe you could see the finish line a long way off. Still I battled on and as when came up to the Rotunda area I could see the feather flags that lined the way to the finish line and decided that I would try and make my move from the first flag.  I did this but misjudged the distance which was more like 200m than the 100m I expected, luckily the Canterbury runner did not have a sprint finish so I managed to pull clear and finished in 10th place. Looking at the splits I felt that I lost about 1m30s on the way back, due not to disappointed due to the hot conditions.  Splits- 5.22/ 5.38/ 5.49/ 6.28/ 6.37/ 6.26/ 1.12




















Distance:    9 miles          Race Time:  00:37:39   Ave Pace: 6.03 m/m


Weekly Summary

AM PM Total
Mon 0 6 6
Tues 0 8 8
Wed 0 12 12
Thurs 0 9 9
Fri 0 3 3
Sat 0 6 6
Sun 0 9 9
Total 0 53 53


Recovery week after three high weeks, only running once a day. feeling good up to the race particularly during 12 miler on Wed.  However the extremely hot weather put paid to a good time, but good to see where I finished amongst peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment