Canterbury Open Meeting - 3000m 6 Jun 2012

Only one run today due to track race.  Windy and raining all day but thankfully wind seemed to have died down a little bit towards to evening.  Went out to warm up and went round the Canterbury Relay route and then came back to track to finish with drills and dynamics.
It was a big field of 26 runners men and women as they were only having one race. At the start it seemed like a lot of people surged ahead, but I think this was as a lot of the runners were youngsters and they started to fast as over the first two laps I went past quite a few. My opening two laps were run in 75 & 76s, my aim was for even 80s laps which should have bought me home in 10 mins. But now at least I had about a 9s buffer over the next 4 laps really concentrated on keeping pace even and could see Andy Cope from Invicta slowly coming back to me which helped in keeping the effort in the laps were 80,80,82,81 going through with 600m to go I heard the split called and I was still about 7s within my target so kept tempo going and seventh lap was run in 82s. With 200m to go I was bearing down on the next Invicta guy who was about 5 yards ahead with 100m to go, really dug deep for sprint finish and pulled along side him with about 20m left and felt him respond did I have enough left for that final few metres? Luckily just about as finished ahead of him by 0.2s. Final time 9"49'5, very please having knocked 15s off last time at Southampton. Average pace for race 4.59 m/m Wow!! Finished in 6th place overall.

Total Distance:  6 miles             Race Time: 09'49'5        Race Pace:  4.59 m/m


   
Nice to see FRC out in force!! Lauren, Will & Tim (Will & Tim's first track race)

No comments:

Post a Comment