Mon 2 May 2011 - Race: Ted Pepper 10km

TED PEPPER 10km - Bromley

Woke up to a nice bright morning but very windy.  Had decided to have ago at this race last week as it incorprated the SCVAC (Southern Counties Veterans Athletics Club) 10km Championships.  I joined SCVAC earlier in the year with the British Masters X-Country in mind but due to cold at that time I didn't do it.  Anyway back to today,  the course was three (2 mile) laps, with that very strong wind blowing into your face for the majority of 1 mile of each lap.  Did lap & half warm up and some dynamic stretches and strides which came to about 4 miles in total.
The Race - Started off well once we got clear of the start and first mile was reached in 5.29 and was running in 4th position with Clayton Barrett (Medway) on my shoulder, the second mile which was a bit more sheltered from the wind and Clayton moved ahead at about 1.5miles, the second took 5.37.  Back into the wind for third mile which took 5.43.  Was starting to feel a little tired now and got passed by two more runners at about 3.5 miles putting me back to 7th position.  At the 4 mile point an Orpington Runner moved passed me, which was reach in 5.47.  I dug in a took a drink as we went out for the last lap and moved back ahead of him but could still hear him just behind, we were now doing our last stretch into the strong wind and I was trying to push on but I think the wind took its toll as we went through the 5 mile point in the slowest mile of the race 5.59.  I could still hear the Orpington guy behind me and I really tried to pick the pace up in last mile thinking all the time if he does catch me then I would try and hang on until the last couple of hundred metres and try and sprint for it. But I managed to keep gap and went through the six miles point in 5.49. Last quarter of a mile I drove on hard and managed to stay in front and finished 7th overall.
Considering  London was only two weeks ago I was pleased with performance this morning.
Did a further lap warm down.

Distance Overall :    12 Miles                Time Overall:  01:29:14
Distance Race:        10 km                   Time Race:     00:36:01          Pace: 5.43 m/m

No comments:

Post a Comment