Inter Club Relays Canterbury - 10 July 2012

Inter Club Relays Canterbury - Last one of the series and all the teams were in the thick of it, we had a good turn out and had full teams in all the categories.  Did the usual warm up drills and strides and by the time I was ready for the last leg Andy, Tim & Sam had done a fine job and got us up into 2nd position overall.  As I handed over I could see Warren from Ashford just disappearing through the gate at the far end of the field, and having raced against him at Samphire Hoe about two weeks ago I was wondering if I could close down the gap before the end knowing that this was a shorter distance. Having him ahead of me really helped pull me round and as a turned each corner he seemed to be a little closer to me. Through the park and then back up the hill, through a few blind sections and then there he was only about 20 yards a head, was now working really hard and trying to push on, back down and under the subway still closing the gap and round the edge of the park, as we went through the gate I was on his shoulder and really tried to turn on the pace and try and go past and open up a gap. In the back of my mind I knew he was a track runner and would have a good turn of speed for the sprint finish. Down the edge of the field round the corner into the finishing straight I was still ahead and tried to change gear again for last 50 yards, I thought that I had done enough but with about two yards to yards he came up on my shoulder and just pipped me to the finish, gutted!!!!  I thought I had a good finish but not quite as good as a young track runner, well done Warren and Ashford who won the wholes series for the senior men. Very gentle mile cool down.
Then onto the best bit the after race picnic whilst waiting for the results and presentations.  Good night for Folkestone teams as follows:- Senior Women 1st, V35 Women 2nd, V45 Women 2nd, V55 Women 1st. Senior Men 3rd, Vet50 Men 3rd. Juniors 1st.  Full Results click HERE
Well done everyone.

Total Distance:  7 miles           Relay Time: 00:12:31          Ave Race Pace: 5.25 m/m

No comments:

Post a Comment