Sun 17 Apr 2011 - THE LONDON MARATHON

Well here I am again, Marathon day.  Alarm set for 05.00 ready to catch 06.30 train from Ashford. All connections went smoothly and arrived at Blackheath at 08.30, made my way through the blue start area to the Championship Area, it was not a great deal difference from the Good for Age start apart from the toilet queues were much shorter. Got ready and put kit bag on the truck at about 09.20, did a little bit of jogging and a few stretch drills. Then we made our way over to the start area. On the start line I could see Rona a few metres ahead of me but to crowded to get to her.
09.45 Richard Branson started the race and we were off, settled down into nice comfortable pace that was about 6.00 m/m and caught Rona just before the first mile point. Felt really relaxed no aches or pains and the first few miles went by, I could see Mark Wilkins from Invicta up ahead about 20m and tried to keep the gap even, then at about 5 miles I was on his shoulder and still running strongly. We went past the end of the Cutty Sark not round it as usual due to restoration work this was at about 6.5m, took my first gel here thinking that the next water station was just round the corner but it wasn't so had to go another half mile before I could get some water to dilute it down. Then saw Dave, Nikki & Kylie from Folkestone RC supporting, good to see some friendly faces. Still going well at 9m and went past Richard Whitehead the GB Paralympian, 200m and Marathon World Record Holder. Truely inspirational seeing this double amputee running at this pace on his blades. Anyway got round Rotherhithe and into Bermondsey where  my daughter was, she had her big poster and gave a wave. The up to 12m point and had second gel, then right turn up onto Tower Bridge and at this point it felt as if hamstrings had suddenly tightened and had stiffness in the back of my legs, the group I was with were gradually pulling away and I could not keep the pace going to keep with them, got round to half way in 01:18:45 but knew it was going to a long second half of the race. Saw Dave Walbrook and Paul Fullick supporting at this point, as also the lead women were going past on the other side of the carriage way at the 22m point.  Although my pace had dropped I was still managing to hold it together, now concentrating on getting to the 16m where I knew Tina & Grahame would be, got myself onto the left hand side of the road ready for Tina's official photograph!! Starting to feel tired now as I tured left at the bottom of the Isle of Dogs back up to Canary Wharf, next focus point was 19m where my cousin Vanessa would be in the Lucozade zone, managed to see her and gave a wave then onto 20 miles which was passed in about 2h 4m last year went through this point in 2h 1m so only about 3 mins down, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to pick the pace up at all so it was a matter of trying to maintain pace I was at. Then Saw Faye & her husband at about 21m then there was quite a stretch of dual carriage way where the runners had just gone past half way on the other side and got a shout from Ray & Sarah, went past Paul F again what a great cheer he gave. Only 4 miles to go and I was trying to work out finishing time in my mind, but your brain doesn't really want to do calculations at that point. Had runners passing me and it felt like I was going backwards but miles 22-25 were 7.16/7.19/7.20/7.20.  Came off embankment and round passed Big Ben which was just striking 12.30 ( I was finished by this point last year) saw  Lucy again here giving a last bit of support before going up Birdcage Walk which seemed never ending, big signs were out 800m, 600m,400m & 200m to go, then got a shout right behind me as Rona went passed with only about 100m to go, I started to increase pace and stayed with her until about 10m before line when I had to ease off because if felt like I was going to cramp up. So she just had about 3 metres on me and she had got a new PB, fantastic. I finished with a very respectable 2:52:33.  Thanks to all those messages of support and to those who travelled up to London to watch and cheer, its all very much appreciated (its good to see some familiar faces in the crowds).

Mile Splits:-
6.00 / 5.49 / 5.44 / 5.43 / 5.50 / 5.54 / 5.53 / 5.54 / 6.01 / 5.55 / 5.57 / 6.03 / 6.19
6.14 / 6.18 / 6.31 / 6.41 / 6.49 / 7.24 / 6.50 / 7.05 / 7.16 / 7.19 / 7.20 / 7.20/ 7.53 / 4.15
Average pace:  6.30 m/m

Talking to people afterwards they were asking if I was disspointed with the time, and after some reflection I have to say that I was pleased with the run, perhaps I didn't run as fast as last year but you are not going to get a PB every time. You have to take out the positives of every run, so although my hamstrings felt stiff from about 12m onwards I still managed to hold it together and get 2:53.  You could get a little blase saying you felt dissapointed then you have to remember how many people would love to run that time.  So I have now run 5 London Marathons and they have all been under three hours so I will take my pride from that statistic.

Already thinking what I could do different for next year and wanting to go out for a run today to get started but commonsense must prevail so will have the week off and start again next Sunday.  Whats on the cards going forwards, I think I will concentrate on speed work throughout the summer and race up to 10km and possibly 10m, working up to a good crack at the Cardiff Half Marathon in October (it would be good to try and get a really fast time here).

I will keep the blog going and if anybody wants any advice or tips please feel free to contact me.


Weekly Milage: 50 Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment