Saturday 8 January 2011

KENT X-COUNTRY CHAMPS  Wilmington Grammar School, Dartford

Woke up to a wild and windy morning, however local weather forecast promised a brigther outlook by early afternoon. We had 8 club members running, 6 ladies and 2 men. Wanted to get 3-4 mile warm up in before the race and went round the course a couple of times. The course consisted of playing fields and a small section about 400m through a wooded section which was really only single file. The race was a small lap round the top two playing fields and then four large complete laps. 
I got a good start and due to the flatness of the small lap seemed very fast. I was in amongst my peers and had Luke Armitage just behind me and could see Andy Green about 20-30 yards ahead. Around the first two laps was constantly battling with Luke and every time he came up on my shoulder or past me I tried to put a spurt on and get back in front. Andy was in a group of about 7/8 runners still about 20 yards ahead and on the third lap I made a conscious effort to up the pace and catch this group which I managed to do. I was now in amongst them, I was feeling on the limit, stomach churning trying to keep the constant pace going. Really put my head down on the last lap, feeling strong from all the marathon milage I had been doing and tried to power on.  Did not pass anybody but consolidated my position and no one else passed me.
Initially dissappoint, as finished 40th and wanted to try and be in top 30. But looking at the results it was a strong field and I had finished in front of three of the Vets who were in front of me at the Vets Champs just before Christmas. So all in all I was pleased with run

No comments:

Post a Comment