A TIME TO REFLECT!!!!!!!!


The time has come to assess my position and work out the plan for the next year, following the visit from a good old friend of mine from Canada, who I used to train with many years ago I have decided to follow his wisdom and ease off and have a break. It would be very tempting to push on racing and try and continue the fine vein of form that I have acquired over the last few months, it has been a long while since I was able to get two sub 36 min 10km’s in the summer. The head says keep going, push on for some more good times however the body is getting older year after year and being closer to 50 rather than 40 I will have to listen to the body.

So I have decided to have 10 days off from running all together whilst I am at Scout Camp, and then training very easy for the next four weeks but trying to start some core and strength and conditioning. Then start up a build up again around the 20 Aug, which will include training through races in Sept & Oct with the end goal of the Great South Run on 28 Oct, with the aim to try and see how far under the hour I can get. Following that have an easier four weeks through November ready for the start of my Marathon training in December getting ready for London 2013.

It is important to sit back and take some time to plan out your training and take some breaks otherwise you will find that you can get stale and not get those improvements you seek. By having a break before you get to this stage it will help with your motivation and hopefully keep your mind and body fresh.

I am sure this approach will be quite difficult, as with the Olympics coming up I will get caught up with the excitement and want to get out running hard!! But remember those guys have all planned their strategies very carefully, which will have included some breaks each year.

As you advance your running you start to realize that it’s not quite as simple as putting one foot in front of the other and plodding on. You want to push yourself on to get those PB’s and challenge yourself.

So remember to take some time out to do your own planning!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment