5 Weeks to go.........W/b 18 March 2013


Monday 18/03/13
AM: Easy run 2 laps of Lyminge
PM: Went down to Folkestone and ran with Tim Angela and Lucy we did very easy 6 miles, as the last club handicap is tomorrow

AM: Distance:  6 miles        Time: 00:47:33     Ave Pace: 7.55 m/m
PM: Distance:  6 miles        Time: 00:56:21     Ave Pace: 9.24 m/m


Tuesday 19/03/13
AM: Easy run 2 laps of Lyminge
PM: Last Club Handicap run of the season, went out and did about 2.5 miles warm up and drills and strides. Again I was last to go off with a 15-minute handicap a minute behind Fletch who I know is on good form at the moment. Went off at a fast pace and really tried to make the most out of the down hill section through the Golden Valley, 1st mile passed in 5.17, I knew this was good as on the last handicap I went through in 5:30 got to the bottom of Sandgate Hill and knew it has to be a good controlled run up here, go a little to fast at the bottom and you struggle at the top. So eased up first half of hill and then dug in from bend up to the bus shelters, cars coming down Coolinge Lane were a pain. At the top of hill really tried to push on, as it is easy to be a bit complacent thinking you are tired from hill and so you do not pick the pace up so much. Through the second mile in 6.14 again up on last time so I knew a good run was on the cards if I could continue to push on. About half way along Grimstone Avenue I spotted someone just going round the corner onto Shorncliffe Road. This helped as it was the first time I had seen someone, so still pushing I got round completing the first big lap and now only had the small lap to go. Up Audley Road I was starting to close down on the runner ahead and went through the 3rd mile in 5.48.  Went passed Will just round corner in Coolinge Lane and could now see two or three runners up ahead using them to work off I kept the tempo up passing them by the girls school, then fast downhill section to Sandgate Road and up the other side going past still some more runners. Giving it all I got going round into Grimstone for the second time knowing that I had just over half a mile to go, and went past Cads, there was a good line of runners ahead of me now through 4 miles in 5.38, just had to keep pace going over last 0.45 miles and I should have a good time, round the corner back onto Shorncliffe Road and I could see Tim ahead, I could feel him speeding up as I got closer to him ( I found out later that he thought it was Cads catching him up). Got passed Tim with about 400m to go and could now see Mick but could not quite catch him even though closing down on him all the way to the line.  Final time, by my watch 25:22, best ever round there in the last three years. I knew Fletch must have had a good run, as I had not managed to catch him and he had knocked about 2 mins off his previous best!!

Garmin Connect: LAST HANDICAP

AM: Distance:  6 miles      Time: 00:47:50                       Ave Pace: 7.58 m/m
PM: Distance:  7 miles      Handicap Time: 00:25:22    Ave Pace: 5.42 m/m


Wednesday 20/03/13
AM: Easy run 2 laps of Lyminge
PM: Went out round Folkestone & Hythe with Tim, Cads, JT and Will, easyish pace after last nights handicap, on the way back I had to cut short at Coolinge Lane as I needed to be back at the club by 8.00pm for circuit training

AM: Distance:  6 miles       Time: 00:50:33     Ave Pace: 8.25 m/m
PM: Distance:  11 miles     Time: 01:33:03     Ave Pace: 8.19 m/m


Thursday 21/03/13
AM: Easy run 2 laps of Lyminge
PM: 16:20- Feeling really tired this afternoon and with a bitterly cold wind my forearms got very cold. Could not really raise pace so just ran easy.
PM: 18:45 – 2 mile warm up with Junior’s around Broadmead Village.

PM: Distance:    6 miles    Time: 00:51:19      Pace: 8.32 m/m
PM: Distance: 10 miles     Time: 01:18:21      Pace: 7.50 m/m
PM: Distance:   2 miles     Time: 00:00:00     Pace: 0.00 m/m


Friday 22/03/13
AM: No runs todays feeling absolutely exhausted and with long run coming up tomorrow I thought the rest would do me good!!!
PM: No Run

AM: Distance:  0 miles       Time: 00:00:00     Ave Pace: 0.00 m/m
PM: Distance:  0 miles        Time: 00:00:00     Ave Pace: 0.00 m/m


Saturday 23/03/13
AM: Did my long run today as I am going to watch the Hastings Half tomorrow and I suspect due to the large nature of the race it will be difficult to get about.  Freezing cold morning with snow showers, it was a real struggle to get out of the door but once underway it was not to bad. Thankfully has taken a day off yesterday had proved the right thing today as I was feeling a lot fresher and the first mile was completed in 7.04. I wanted to try and maintain an even paced run this morning and then try and pick the pace up over the last few miles. They were all pretty constant only really falling a little bit on the hilly sections. Even the section for a couple of miles through Elham Park Wood did not drop off on the gravely and muddy surface. Didn’t get that usual tired feeling approaching 15 miles and still going along quite comfortably. The mile 20 was downhill and that got my momentum up so managed to plug a 6.54 mile in there and then tried to continue this pace on until the end which resulted in mile 21 6.55 and mile 22 6.42. So very pleased with that run as I was on my own as well, plus feel ok at end of run and not totally annihilated as usual.

Garmin Connect:  LONG RUN

AM: Distance:  22miles       Race Time: 02:39:27      Ave Pace: 7.15 m/m    

Sunday 24/03/13 
AM: Warm up at Hastings Half with Tim, Angela & Lucy, so got a couple of miles gentle jogging in.  However got so freezing cold did not feel like running any further. Having done the long 22 miler yesterday I took the sensible option and rested for the rest of the day.

AM: Distance:   2miles      Time: 0:19:40     Ave Pace: 9.50 m/m


Weekly Summary


AM
PM
TOTAL
Monday
6
6
12
Tuesday
6
7
25
Wednesday
6
11
42
Thursday
6
12
60
Friday
0
0
60
Saturday
22
0
82
Sunday
0
2
84

Really pleased with handicap time on Tuesday the fasted I have been round it in at least the last three years. However was really tired on Friday and took the sensible option of a day off, which proved the right thing to do as was much fresher for long run on Saturday.
Next week will be last high mileage week before taper. Also looking to get some speed work in there too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment