4 Weeks to go........W/b 25 March 2013


Monday 25/03/13
AM: No run
PM: Easy run but bitterly cold only really started to warm up at about half way round
AM: Distance:  0 miles        Time: 00:00:00     Ave Pace: 0.00 m/m
PM: Distance:  7 miles        Time: 00:53:38     Ave Pace: 7.39 m/m


Tuesday 26/03/13
AM: Easy run 2 laps of Lyminge
PM: Interval session tonight, left the club house for about 2.3m warm up going up to the Leas. Once there the session was 5 x 1mile with a 3min jog recovery. We went up and down the Leas so we had 3 into the wind and 2 with wind behind. Splits were as follows:- 5.42/ 5.49/ 5.56/ 5.59/ 5.42 so really pleased as these were all done on my own. (Average interval time 5.46) Cool down jog back to the club

AM: Distance:  6 miles      Time: 00:47:29                 Ave Pace: 7.55 m/m
PM: Distance:  9 miles       Time: 01:20:07                Ave Pace: 0.00 m/m


Wednesday 27/03/13
AM: Easy run 2 laps of Lyminge
PM: Went down to club at Folkestone to go out for a long run the other guys were doing the Folkestone 10 on Friday and so were not going so far. I had decided to get a midweek 15 miler in, not really knowing what pace to do I thought I would just run how I felt. It was another freezing cold evening with quite a strong easterly wind, once I got going the first two miles round the by pass and up to the top of Wear Bay Road were 7.55 & 7.34, then its was down the hill and along the Seafront all the way to the Fisherman’s beach in Hythe, comfortably averaging about 7.15 m/m, then turning at the Light Railway Station it was then back into that strong cold headwind. Slowed a bit at the turn but then at the Twiss Road there was a runner the other side of the road who I felt was trying to race me!! This was a bit like a red rag to a bull, so I upped the pace again back to 7.15 m/m and began to drop the mystery runner.  It felt strange running along Seabrook Road on my own as usually I come along here with Tim.
As I was coming into Seabrook I spotted a runner ahead with a familiar style, finally catching him at the Murco Garage it was Chris Addison. He said that he was slowing a bit so we ran together and he was able to up his pace a bit, it also kept me going as well. Instead of going up Sandgate Hill we went along the seafront round to the harbor, here I left Chris and went up the Old High Street and back to the club. As I ran the last bit with Chris I had now done 16 miles instead of the original 15. I felt really cold at the end and the cold wind felt like it had got right into my bones.

AM: Distance:  6 miles       Time: 00:49:27     Ave Pace: 8.14 m/m
PM: Distance:  16 miles     Time: 02:00:15     Ave Pace: 7.31 m/m


Thursday 28/03/13
AM: No Run
PM: Felt really out of sorts today, I think that it was due to getting really cold last night during the 16 miler therefore decided to miss afternoon run
PM: 18:45 – 2 mile warm up with Junior’s around Broadmead Village.

PM: Distance:    0 miles    Time: 00:00:00      Pace: 0.00 m/m
PM: Distance:   0 miles     Time: 00:00:00      Pace: 0.00 m/m
PM: Distance:   2 miles     Time: 00:19:00     Pace: 9.30 m/m


Friday 29/03/13
AM: Went out at 06:30 this morning for my two laps of Lyminge due to having to be down the Green at 08:30 to help with the setting up of the Folkestone 10. Very easy paced run.
PM: No run after having spent all morning standing outside marshaling in the cold I could not find the incentive to go back out in the cold for a run

AM: Distance:  6 miles       Time: 00:53:44     Ave Pace: 8.57 m/m
PM: Distance:  0 miles        Time: 00:00:00     Ave Pace: 0.00 m/m


Saturday 30/03/13
AM: Woke up with a SORE THROAT !!!!! Oh No.  So again was really sensible and took the day off. Only the 4th day in 17 weeks that I haven’t done any running. But now is the time to be wise and not jeopardise all my previous training. Looking as always on the positive side of things it was better to get the sore throat now and not in two or three weeks time!!
Also wanted to get another long run in tomorrow so again better to rest today ready for tomorrow.

AM: Distance:  0 miles       Race Time: 00:00:00      Ave Pace: 0.00 m/m    

Sunday 31/03/13 
AM: Long run with Tim, go to his house at about 09:00 and guess what? Yes it was trying to snow again!!! There was a brisk easterly wind but did not feel as cold as earlier in the week.  We did three laps of Radnor Park before setting out up Black Bull Road and pace was fairly steady as we warmed up for the long run ahead. Once we had got up the hill onto Churchill Avenue then the pace turned up a notch, I had to make a brief pit stop and Tim went on ahead, I then had to catch him up passing JT coming in the other direction. Finally caught Tim up along Cheriton High Street and it meant that I had to put in a 6.55 mile. The next couple of miles were ave 7.15m/m.  From 8 miles, which was half way down Hospital Hill the splits for the next 6 miles with the wind behind us were quite awesome 7.04/7.02/7.03/7.05/6.58/7.08.  It didn’t feel that hard but when I saw the 6.58 I was a little worried that I was pushing Tim too hard, however as we turned at 12.25 miles (Nickolls Quarry) we now had the full force of the wind blowing straight into our faces and knew that the pace would now slow. Then next 4 miles through Hythe we managed to just about hold onto 7.30 m/m but I could see that Tim was now beginning to suffer – he had also had a hard 10 mile race on Friday (whereas I had had an easy 6 and a day off yesterday). As we came off the canal bank in Seabrook we were now running into the wind straight off the sea and the pace dropped again to about 8.00m/m, at the far end of Sandgate as we were going onto the promenade we caught a glimpse of Kirsty and Angela ahead and this helped Tim as he now had someone to try and close down ahead. We finally caught up with them at the far end of the coastal park and at this stage we only had just over a mile to go. We pushed on and finally finished fractionally just outside 2h.30min but about 8 minutes quicker than a few weeks ago. Although the last 5-6 miles were tough it was good experience for the last few miles in the marathon when you are trying to hang onto your pace and not let it drop.

AM: Distance:   20 miles      Time: 2:30:23     Ave Pace: 7.31 m/m


Weekly Summary


AM
PM
TOTAL
Monday
0
7
7
Tuesday
6
9
22
Wednesday
6
16
44
Thursday
0
2
46
Friday
6
0
52
Saturday
0
0
52
Sunday
20
0
72

2nd half of the week not quite how I planned as I was hoping to get a last 100 mile week in, however pleased that I got a long mid week run in. With regards to the sore throat better to get it now rather than in 2/3 weeks time.  Also fairly pleased with my run on Sunday, feeling quite strong therefore justify decision to have Saturday off.
Now only 3 weeks to go, it seemed a long time ago as I started before Christmas but it has shot round, so in the next three weeks will be tapering down the mileage but will be looking to keep the speed sessions sharp!

No comments:

Post a Comment