12 Weeks to go........W/b 28 January 2013


Monday 28/01/13
AM: Easy run, feeling very tired after yesterdays race, just trying to get legs turning over.
PM: Another easy run this time with Lucy, Tim & Angela. Lucys leg hurting after yesterday and all were pretty tired.

AM: Distance:  6 miles      Time: 00:53:11     Ave Pace: 8.51 m/m
PM: Distance   5 miles      Time: 00:49:48     Ave Pace: 9.58 m/m


Tuesday 29/01/13
AM: Easy run, 2 laps of Lyminge.
PM: From club Handicap tonight, did a 3.6 mile warm up and some strides and drills before setting out with 12 minute handicap. It was a very damp evening but the rain had managed to stop but there was a stiff breeze blowing. I went 1 minute behind Rona and could start to see her going down the Golden Valley, 1st mile passed in 5.27. Passed Rona just before Fish and Chip shop in Sandgate and then really pushed on hard up Sandgate Hill, as I rounded the bend about half way up I caught a glimpse of the next runners further up the hill. 2nd mile passed in 6.10, quite chuffed as this included the big uphill, into Grimston Ave I could see runners nicely lined up and I pushed on trying to concentrate on one at a time to chase them down, still feeling good went passed the guys at the finish line as I started my second smaller lap. Mile 3 back down to 5.46, this is where I usually start to lose the pace a little so I was happy with that and gritted my teeth for last mile and a half. Still had people to chase which was ideal as I didn’t relax at all and went past mile 4 in 5.52. Now last surge for home could see 1 more person in front and passed them with about 200m to go tried to sprint hard so they did not come back at me, crossed the line in 25:44 a new PB by 4 seconds, well chuffed, this run and Sundays Race giving me confidence that all the miles are paying off.
2 mile cool down which give me 10 for the night, very satisfied J

AM: Distance:   6 miles      Time: 00:52:15                         Ave Pace: 8.42 m/m
PM: Distance:    10 miles   Handicap  Time: 00:25:44     Ave Pace: 5.48 m/m


Wednesday 30/01/13
AM: Easy run, 1 lap of Lyminge , cut back from 6 as doing long run tonight.
PM: Went down and parked at Tim’s house and went out and did 4 miles up to Tesco’s and back before joining him on his 16 miler.  Went off up Blackbull Road, Round bypass, down Cherry Garden Ave, along Cheriton Rd, down Horn Street, then along to Hythe as far as Palmarsh Avenue and then returned back going up Sandgate Hill!!!  Started off with pace around 8.00m/m, then it sneaked down to 7.45m/m between 9 & 13 miles, 7.30m/m between 13 & 17 miles before hitting Sandgate Hill, and I literally did hit it, suddenly ran out of energy and I was struggling to keep up with Tim as we climbed to the top. The last few miles slowed to about 8.30m/m pace.  But overall Tim was happy with the run as he got his 16 miles done just about spot on 8.00m/m pace.

AM: Distance:    4 miles     Time: 00:35:24     Ave Pace: 8.51 m/m
PM: Distance:  20 miles     Time: 02:38:47     Ave Pace: 7.56 m/m


Thursday 31/01/13
AM: Shot away after long run could not run this morning
PM:15:30 - 2 Laps of Lyminge very tired after yesterday so very easy pace.
PM:18:45 – Went out with juniors around Lucy Avenue whilst they did 4X 2mins with 2 mins recovery, with good warm up and cool down, I went with middle group and struggled to keep up to start with!!

PM: Distance:   6 miles     Time: 00:49:42     Ave Pace: 8.11 m/m
PM: Distance:   4 miles     Time: 00:40:00     Ave Pace: 10.00 m/m


Friday 01/02/13
AM: Again no morning run today still tired and racing on Sunday!!
PM: 2 Laps of Lyminge tonight, feeling a lot better tonight and after an easyish start finished with a couple of quicker miles. 7.32/7.37/6.58/7.15/6.47/6.46

AM: Distance:   0 miles     Time: 00:00:00     Ave Pace: 0.00 m/m
PM: Distance:    6miles     Time: 00:42:57     Ave Pace: 7.09 m/m


Saturday 02/02/13
AM: Nice easy relaxed run this morning didn’t look at watch and took it easy as race tomorrow.
PM: Just did a couple of miles tonight just to try and help loosen up for tomorrows race

AM: Distance:  7 miles      Time:  01:00:22     Ave Pace: 8.37 m/m
PM: Distance:  2 miles       Time: 00:18:16      Ave Pace: 9.08 m/m    



Sunday 03/02/13  -  ASHFORD & DISTRICT 10km

AM: After the Canterbury 10 last week and the mid-week Handicap PB, I was feeling very confident about this mornings race, in previous years I had been able to break into the 34mins and was hoping to do this again today.
Arrived in plenty of time and collected our chips and got ready in the Clubhouse with the rest of the Folkestone Team. With an hour before the start I went off and did a 4 mile warm up covering the first two miles of the course and then returning back to the club to change into my vest and racers. As I left to go back to the start, which was about, 0.7 miles away - there seemed still to be long queues at the chip collection point and the toilets!! Jogging around at the start line after doing drills and strides a message came through that the start would be delayed for 10 mins whilst everyone made their way up to the start line.  We finally started the race at about 11:07 but even then some people I believe had not got to the start on time L.
Anyway I started well and settled into a pack of 4 of us with the leader pulling away and none of us being able to live with his pace. I was at the front of this group which I prefer as I feel like I am really racing trying to keep ahead, rather than hanging on behind! We go through first mile in 5.38 which was 10 seconds slower than last week at the Canterbury 10, however the course did rise very gradually in first mile and we were running into wind, we then had a downhill section and pace picked up to 5.29 for 2nd mile. Still could hear the other three behind me and kept getting a glimpse of a red Invicta EK vest as he tried to get up on my shoulder but I continued pushing as hard as I could taking the racing line on the apex of the corners and not allowing an inch. 3rd mile passed in 5.25!! and went through 5km in 17:08, very pleased but was now starting to wonder if I could keep this pace going, shortly after this the Larkfield guy just got ahead of me through the water station and I was trying desperately hard to keep hold off him but yard by yard a gap began to open, good to hear shout from Faye and her Mum at this point. Concentrating hard and knowing that the hill was coming I went through mile 4 in 5.40, getting a shout from Stella and then waiting to hear her shout for Matt so I could judge the gap as I could not hear him breathing directly behind me at this stage and I think Chris from Invicta was just a few seconds behind him.  Pushed up the hill as hard as I could but could actually feel the pace slow a bit, as I was probably as not as fresh as I could have been if I had rested up for this race. About 100m over the brow Matt came stormin’ passed me at a rate of knots, I physically tried to increase my pace and stick with him but that didn’t last long although he didn’t open up a big gap, I could not close it down. Through 5 miles in 27:58 J but I was right, the last mile had slowed to 6.02. I was now trying to focus on Matt and not let him get too far ahead and also push hard so I was not caught from behind, going through 9km was good as I knew we had the fast downhill section to come just before the finish, which I tried to put everything into, I had managed to increase pace again which I was pleased about as I went through the 6th mile in 5.34, my position was safe but I sprinted for line as I wanted that sub 35min time and made it with 3 seconds to spare as I skated over the last 20 muddy metres!!
Finished 4th overall and 1st Vet40 so very satisfied.  Lucy had a brilliant run as well finishing in 43:35 a new PB.

AM: Distance:   6 miles      Time: 00:34:57     Ave Pace: 5.38 m/m

Total Distance including warm up and cool down:  14 miles.

Garmin Connect: Ashford & District 10km


Weekly Summary


AM
PM
TOTAL
MON
6
5
11
TUE
6
10
27
WED
4
20
51
THUR
6
4
61
FRI
0
6
67
SAT
7
2
76
SUN
14
0
90

Mid week long run wiped me out the following day and so knocked the morning runs on Thursday & Friday on the head.  But considering great time at Canterbury last Sunday, a PB round the Handicap course on Tuesday it was not hard to figure out why.
Still finished up with a 90 mile week and to race 34:57 after that fills me with a lot of confidence. Fully tapered and rested what could I have run? Possibly a low 34? like 3 years ago 34:06 who knows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment